Saturday, December 13, 2008

My Job

I teach third grade at my old school. My classroom now was my classroom when I was in 6th grade. I really love my job. It has been an adjustment to get to know this new school, but I am really happy on the West Side. Every year it takes me a while to actually love my students, but yesterday, I had some Christmas music playing, we were doing an art project, and they were all singing along, and I realized that I am finally there with this class. I have a special place in my heart for each one of those kids. This time of year is bitter sweet for a teacher. Every year I have taught I've had a few kids in my class who I almost hate to send home at the end of the day. Their home life sucks. I feel so sorry for them and wish I could just bring them home with me at the end of each day. I know we all have those moments when we realize that you don't have to look far to see that life could be much worse, that we need to stop thinking about what we don't have a be thankful for what we do have. I have had lots of those moments lately and I am very thankful for all that I have. For good health, a warm home, food, and good family and friends.

3 comments:

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

and that's why you are so good at what you do. You actually care. Not all teachers do, but it's sure nice to come across the ones that really care. I'm sure they hate to send my kids home to me at the end of the day. Oh well.

Nicky said...

I was going to leave my comment, but Kelli already beat me to it. She said what I was thinking - your a great teacher! So...ditto to what Kelli said.

Maria said...

You are such a good teacher! I hope there are more like you when McKay gets into school.